Article written by India Campbell-Hall
After the successful commencement of the Santander Scholarship Programme, which aims to help students develop their professional skills and build specific industry experience, YPAYP has paired with the University of Chester to support their Inspiring Futures Programme.
Why Inspiring Futures?
The University of Chester is committed to the Office For Students, to provide under-represented groups with equal opportunities and progress from being in higher education, removing inequalities/obstacles so that every student has a fair chance of flourishing in their chosen career field .
‘We are delighted to get involved in this Programme as we love to support next-generation activity and growth and an area we invest a lot of time into at YPAYP. This particular Programme focuses on providing equal opportunities and removing inequalities and obstacles for students, and that is something I am personally very passionate about.’ [Gina Buckney, Managing Director, YPAYP]
What is The Inspiring Futures Programme?
Inspiring Futures is a selective programme featuring additional careers activities, offering support to students from underrepresented groups through the Careers and Employability and Student Futures department. Inspiring Futures was established to directly address the needs of these students, helping to support them so that they can achieve lifelong success.
To be eligible to apply for Inspiring Futures, students need to meet one of the following criteria:
- Received The University of Chester Bursary or Care Leaver Bursary
- Have received the Sanctuary Scholarship or the Estranged Students Support Package
- Be a Young Carer
- Have a declared disability
- Be a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) student
- Have a postcode which fits into a POLAR 4 Quintile 1 or 2
What can Students get involved with through the Inspiring Futures Programme?
Inspiring Futures gives students the chance to get involved in:
- Industry Insights – visits, physically or virtually, to local and national employers. By participating students will be able to :
- Develop knowledge and understanding of different industry sectors
- Gain an awareness of the employers’ recruitment and selection processes
- Boost confidence and success when applying for graduate roles
Assessment Centre Simulation – The Inspiring Futures programme also offers the opportunity to participate in an assessment centre day, physically or virtually, and to gain a Level 3 AQA accreditation in Employability Skills. By participating Students:
- Have a clear idea understanding assessment centre processes and activities
- Boost self-esteem about ability to perform well at assessment centres
- Further develop confidence and success when applying for internship opportunities or graduate roles
Participating in Industry Insights or an Assessment Centre Simulation all contribute towards The Chester Difference Award
- Inspiring Futures Internships – an opportunity for current students from under-represented groups to take on a 175-hour paid (£9 per hour) internship opportunity, physically or virtually, either within a non-profit organisation, social enterprise or charity.
By participating students will:
- Be provided with application and interview support to increase the success of an internship application.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of different industry sectors and job roles to aid future career planning and decision making.
- Develop confidence and increase success when applying for graduate roles in the future.
The Inspiring Futures Programme is set to commence early May and we are exciting to be part of such a fantastic Programme.
- 40% increase in productivity achieved from a FOUR-DAY WORK WEEK! 30 June 2022
- The Summer Global Internship Program 2022 Countdown is on! 13 June 2022
- THE NEW NORMAL: Change is The Only Constant 27 April 2022
- Investing in Employee Wellbeing? – Is it worth it? 4 April 2022
- What does the modern workplace consist of? 19 January 2022